Monday, June 9, 2008

Roses On My Desk

I was given a small potted plant, 2 inch parade roses. They are red, or were, now they are kinda dark red. They are tiny, the label says "hearty" as well. Beautiful when they arrived. So sweet. But then, the "self watering wick" failed. And it was up to me to keep these roses alive. I did it with little help for about 4 weeks. It seemed we were in sync. I helped them, they made me smile, I helped them to grow, then something happened. I'm not really sure what. They dried, I watered them, they burned from my light, I moved them....too late. It's all dying now. I have to determine if I want dried flowers around or just throw them out. I stare at them and wonder if they are in any pain. Did they know this would happen? Now both of us are angry. Our joys no longer fulfill each other. I even watered them again this morning hoping some life would appear. Nothing.

I hate when plants die. I am not one to throw them out. I've never been really attached to roses, this one was different. Soft, sweet and came along at the right time. I don't like dried flowers at all. They are just dead flowers. Reminding us of what comes.

They however, are still on my desk.

No comments: